Four months

Thursday, November 1, 2012



Tomorrow is my first "centering" meeting with other expecting mamas, their partners, a midwife, and an obstetrician. At our first UCSF appointment with our midwife, she gave us the option of continuing to meet individually with her or to try centering. The latter is meeting in small groups with other mama-to-be's to discuss the goings ons of pregnancy. She told us it was more commonly practiced in Europe, but has been growing in the US. The idea is that you learn more from your peers and through discussion than from only listening to a doctor or midwife.

This idea is completely in line with my teaching philosophy and how I was trained as an educator.  In my classroom last year, we constantly placed the students in small groups to work with and teach each other. They truly did learn more and were so much more engaged!!

The midwife and obstetrician will facilitate our group, while still meeting with each mother individually. My prenatal yoga teacher shared with me that centering and the bonds she formed with those in her group were some of her favorite parts of pregnancy. I hope my experience is similar!

(P.S. On a trip to Goodwill today I found these MUCH needed maternity jeans for $5. Also, it was too difficult to pass up new,  red Ava Kork Ease platforms for $9. Score!)



1 comments:

seaglass and squirrels All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger