30 wks (baby) + 35 yrs (mama)

Monday, February 11, 2013


This weekend was Chinese New Year and my 35th birthday!  We celebrated with a perfect east bay day.  We started off by meeting our realtor at a house in Berkeley (it was cute, but on the corner of a busy-ish street and didn't have a drive way.  When we purchase a house, I want a parking spot!).  Then we met my brother at his house in San Leandro so I could have a brief reunion with my cat, Esme.  She's living the good life with him this year in the sunny suburbs with a big backyard to run around in and unsuccessfully hunt birds.  My bro came with us to La Pinata for a delicious Mexican Breakfast, then we headed back to Berkeley to do some shopping on Telegraph.

That's when we took this photo in front of my beloved old house on Blake St.  I found this amazing house, room, and roommates on Craigslist back around 2002 and lived there for many a happy years before moving to Austin in 2005.  It's an old, crumbling house, but the rent, location, and housemates, were perfect.  I have so many fun memories inside this house of parties, dancing, game nights, ANTM, barbeques, and laughing until my sides hurt and tears rolled down my cheeks.  It was strange to stand in front of it 30 weeks pregnant and with my husband who I brought back from Texas!

We had a maternity photo shoot scheduled in the city for Sunday with our friend's sister, so Eric was a great sport and helped me shop for cute pregnant lady dresses in Buffalo Exchange and American Apparel.  I had these 2 lovely mamas in mind.  I like how they rocked regular clothes in their megabelly months.  Buying clothes for these last 2 months of pregnancy was an obvious splurge, but I wanted to feel extra nice for the pictures and I figured birthdays are a good time to TREAT YO SELF.

Speaking of, we totally did that at Crepes-A-GoGo, with a nutella, stawberry, and banana crepe.  NOMZ.  As an undergrad at Cal, I would get these to go, walk to a nice, quiet spot on campus, and usually end up passing off a few pieces of nutella-covered fruit to a fat, brazen squirrel.  Multiple times, squirrels would come put their paws right up on my lap and sniff around until they received their Crepes A GoGo.

After Telegraph, we headed to Rockridge Kids on College Ave in Oakland to purchase baby's car seat.  The folks at the store were really nice and helped us install it.  I must admit, I'm stupidly happy to see the carseat in our backseat now.  It feels good to get these big baby needs off the checklist.  In the past 2 weeks, we've ordered a changing table and co-sleeper, and inherited a free glider rocker for free from my yoga studio.  While we are trying our best to accumulate minimal extra things for baby, our apartment is already changing and I know this is all good and necessary.

Then we caught a matinee of Zero Dark Thirty at the beautiful the Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland.  It was a bit slow, but with good pay-off.  Catherine Bigelow is great at building tension and I enjoyed it.  Totally made me want to make Eric watch Point Break with me soon.  He's gotten through life with somehow never seeing it!  After the movie, we drove by a house in Albany our realtor had emailed us about.  It's just off of Solano Ave, which is great, but also a bit close to BART, which = noise.  We'll return for a better look this Saturday.


"Babes.  The correct term is 'babes,' Sir."


After all of that, I finally let us return to the city.  Don't get me wrong, SF RULES, but I also hope to fill 35 with more perfect east bay days!    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

seaglass and squirrels All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger